NaNoWriMo is nearly upon us. Less than a week until November 1st, I repeat, less than a week. Don’t think about it too hard.
Everyone has there own assortment of things that they need or want for doing NaNo. I usually go in thinking I need more or making a big deal out of it… but honestly? I have three essentials and that’s it.
I tried hand writing once. I wrote the first chunk of a chapter and it was a sad, sad attempt. Really. I am a typist at heart, even though I don’t actually type how they teach in schools with your fingers all set in the neat places. They tried to teach me in the third grade but alas, I never learned. *blushes*
I’ve gradually become a really speedy typist during NaNo. You just type and don’t look back. Ignore all the rest squiggles.
2. Some kind of guiding plot/outline/idea.
Seriously. If I don’t have SOMETHING to go off of, you can guarantee I’ll be freaking out two days in because *hyperventilates* how do I write beginning and who are all these people?!
3. A *specific* writing spot.
This one has changed over the years. I’ve gone from writing hunched over at the corner of my bed to writing curled up in my teeny-tiny closet (uncomfortable) to writing in my favorite chair with and blanket draped over it and with my laptop on my lap.
[I basically like being cozy.]
Right now I’m digging the whole chair-blanket set up and will probably do that again. However unlike last year I do own a real desk. We’ll see.
These are honestly my only requirements. There are a host of things that I would LIKE: (or think I would like, ha)
- homemade mochas
- or hot tea with honey
- or maybe a hot vanilla chai latte?
- writing in a coffee shop
- dark chocolate rewards for every 1k I write (this might be a requirement)
- SOME FORM OF A (SMALL) SOCIAL LIFE IN (APPROPRIATE AND NON-DISTRACTING) MEASURES
- other forms of creative expression to balance out the constant writing. like doodling. I doodle a lot during November.
- a good Spotify playlist ( recently discovered how amazing music is to write to. I don’t know how I’ve written the past 5 years without some soundtrack playing in the background)
- my $15 neon green mostly soundproof bluetooth headphones. (sort of like Beats. but cheaper. like, $285 dollars cheaper. XD) (you can see my headphones in the post header picture.)
But not all of those will be accomplishable every day. All I really need is my computer, my plan, and a comfy spot.
So how about you? What are your NaNoWriMo necessities for survival? Are you prepared for next Tuesday?
also!! I’ve been messing with my blog design because I will never be satisfied with a forever design. XD thoughts? Do you like it better or like the old one better?